Micro:bit Challenge @RRIS

Posted by on 11/05/2020

Hello everyone!

I was very lucky to receive one of these in the post today – it’s a BBC micro:bit (a very small mini computer!) As you can see in the picture it comes with a wire to connect it to a computer and a battery pack. These are amazing little computers and I would love to get some to try at school. The website that helps you learn more about them says they are for children aged 8 and over, but I am pretty sure you all could have a go at creating a program for it.

You can see on the front of the micro:bit there are 25 little silver lines – these are in fact LED lights and you can write a program to make them light up! This is what I would like you to have a go at doing 🙂 You don’t need a micro:bit yourself to do this as the program you use has a picture of one and it shows you exactly what would happen on a real micro:bit.

So the question is, are you ready for the challenge?

Why not watch the Introduction video on this website first and then have a go at making a program here. If you look in the Tutorials section it will show you exactly what to do. Start off by making the flashing heart! Click the orange Next button to work your way through the tutorial, making sure you watch the animation so you know what to do. I had a go, here’s a little video so you can see it!

Here’s my flashing heart!

There are lots of projects that you can try and I would love to see how you get on. You can send me photographs or videos and I can put them on the blog to encourage other people to have a go. You could also leave comments on the blog.

If you have a tablet, there are free MakeCode apps that you can use too for both Apple and Android devices – I tried it on my tablet and it was brilliant!

Good luck
Mrs Stone 🙂