Micro:bit Challenge @RRIS

Hello everyone!

I was very lucky to receive one of these in the post today – it’s a BBC micro:bit (a very small mini computer!) As you can see in the picture it comes with a wire to connect it to a computer and a battery pack. These are amazing little computers and I would love to get some to try at school. The website that helps you learn more about them says they are for children aged 8 and over, but I am pretty sure you all could have a go at creating a program for it.

You can see on the front of the micro:bit there are 25 little silver lines – these are in fact LED lights and you can write a program to make them light up! This is what I would like you to have a go at doing 🙂 You don’t need a micro:bit yourself to do this as the program you use has a picture of one and it shows you exactly what would happen on a real micro:bit.

So the question is, are you ready for the challenge?

Why not watch the Introduction video on this website first and then have a go at making a program here. If you look in the Tutorials section it will show you exactly what to do. Start off by making the flashing heart! Click the orange Next button to work your way through the tutorial, making sure you watch the animation so you know what to do. I had a go, here’s a little video so you can see it!

Here’s my flashing heart!

There are lots of projects that you can try and I would love to see how you get on. You can send me photographs or videos and I can put them on the blog to encourage other people to have a go. You could also leave comments on the blog.

If you have a tablet, there are free MakeCode apps that you can use too for both Apple and Android devices – I tried it on my tablet and it was brilliant!

Good luck
Mrs Stone 🙂

Categories: Digital Helpers, Digital Leaders, iPads | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Micro:bit Challenge @RRIS

Using Kodable at Home @RRIS

Let’s have a look and see how the leaders got on at home with my challenge!

B said “It was really easy – you had to make a path but the hardest part was to know that you didn’t need an arrow for each space on the path, it was for the whole line. Once you knew that I was OK for the rest. It was the first time that I have used Kodable at home and I would use it again.”

P said “For the first tries, it didn’t work out very well, but then I started enjoying it. The instructions were good, but what I found a bit puzzling is that you can only use a certain number of commands. I didn’t know in my first attempts that it makes it easier when you move the start and finish blocks. Once my mummy moved them, it was easier.
I would recommend this to other children and will play it now again.”

J said “Thank you for letting us know about the beach cleanup game on kodable. I completed all of the levels and thought it was fun. “

M said “I think it was great . I loved coding so I really enjoyed solving the problems. You have to move the character to pick up the rubbish. There are 2 problems, the first is that you have to build a path. The second is that you only have a limited amount of moves. Thank you for sharing it with me

E said “This afternoon I have played a new game with Kodable called Beach Clean Up.
Here is my review.
I thought the game was fun to play because it teaches us to recycle our rubbish and save animals lives – making a cleaner environment for everyone. I found the video instructions easy to follow. I think it would be a good, fun game for year 1 and 2 children to play as there are 3 levels – easy, medium and hard. I played the easy and medium levels and found the picture instructions helpful. Overall, I really enjoyed playing the game.”

G said ” I had a go on the Kodable beach clean and did really enjoy it the instruction videos are clear and I got on well.”

This looks fun!

Categories: Digital Leaders | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Using Kodable at Home @RRIS

Working From Home Challenge @RRIS

It’s been so long since I have seen my amazing digital leaders that I thought I would set them a challenge to do at home before we ask all the other year 2 children to have a go too.

We use the website Kodable for some basic lessons in coding and I spotted that a new challenge had appeared called Beach Clean Up so I asked the digital leaders to try it out. Maybe you would like to have a go too?

You can find the challenge here – you don’t need a login to play, just click the purple bar ‘Play Without Saving’, then the orange button ‘Playing At Home’ and then lastly click on your age and the explanation video will start. It should tell you everything you need to know to complete the challenges. Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Categories: Digital Helpers, Digital Leaders | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Working From Home Challenge @RRIS

Rec Road Radio Magpie’s Ecobrick @RRIS

This week Magpie’s class took to the airwaves to tell us about their amazing ecobrick they are making in their classroom. Why not tune in and have a listen?

Here are some pictures of it, doesn’t it look great. Perhaps you could make one at home and bring it in to put with the others, so we could make something for the butterfly garden.

Categories: Rec Road Radio | Tags: , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Rec Road Radio Magpie’s Ecobrick @RRIS

Radio Norfolk Mention @RRIS

How exciting! This morning Rec Road Radio got several mentions on Radio Norfolk for our upcoming podcast about recycling.
Hopefully they will be coming to visit us to hear all about our podcasting adventures!
If you would like to listen, please click on the link below and we get a mention 1 hour 59 minutes and 40 seconds in!! Enjoy 🙂

Radio Norfolk 12.3.2020

Categories: Rec Road Radio | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Radio Norfolk Mention @RRIS

Pupil Technology Survey @RRIS

It is really important to know how to keep yourself safe when using a computer or tablet and so we created a survey for all the year 2 pupils to take to find out their habits when they weren’t at school. This will help us support families in keeping everyone safe, including how to put parental locks on devices – have a look at our Esafety weblinks for further details.

Only one class has taken the survey at the moment, but there has already been some surprising results – check back here soon to find out!

Categories: Digital Helpers, Digital Leaders | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Pupil Technology Survey @RRIS

Completing our Board Games @RRIS

This week the Digital Leaders and Helpers have been working towards finishing off their board games. They have coloured the background and pathway, added text to selected squares, added clipart and a title – phew! We are really looking forward to getting them all printed out and playing them with all the year 1 children.

Categories: Digital Helpers | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Completing our Board Games @RRIS

Rec Road Radio is back @RRIS

We are very pleased and excited to say that Rec Road Radio is back on the airwaves after a short break at our new Anchor Podcast page

We are looking forward to recording and broadcasting shows on a Friday afternoon every week and we are hoping that family and friends around the world will tune in and have a listen!

Categories: Rec Road Radio | Tags: , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Rec Road Radio is back @RRIS

Safer Internet Day 2020 @RRIS

For Safer Internet Day 2020 we have looked at some amazing resources that remind us how to keep ourselves safe when using the computer, tablet or in fact anything that connect to the internet!

We watched videos featuring Red and Murphy, had a special assembly and then used the Online Safety resources from Espresso, Discovery Education.

The activities will be carrying on all week and of course we will finish off making our amazing board games to share with the year 1 children.

Categories: Digital Leaders | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Safer Internet Day 2020 @RRIS

Board Game Outline @RRIS

“Today we used Textease to draw the outline of our board game. It was easy because the programme let us draw the straight lines easily. We saved it and next time we will colour it in.”

Categories: Digital Helpers, Digital Leaders | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | 8 Comments